Re: sparse triggers OOM killer

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> There was no oops or similar and sparse just exited after a while with
> an errorcode (137).

That's just SIGKILL (128+9). Which is normal for the OOM killer.

> Now I wonder if I have hit a bug in sparse or this is what I should
> expect.

Well, sparse does keep a _lot_ of stuff in memory, and the "do many files
at once" will basically keep every single one (with full types, full
linearization etc) in memory at the same time.

It's probably fairly easy to fix: I should just make sparse release all
the linearizations and symbols when they go out of file scope.

The "do many files at once" thing really was just a quick hack, so the
lack of memory release is not that susprising.

I'll see what I can do.

		Linus