Re: [linux-pm] [patch] pm: fix runtime powermanagement's /sys interface

On Pá 06-01-06 10:42:24, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Patrick Mochel wrote:

> > > Fine with me.
> >
> > ACK, you beat me to it.
> >
> > And, appended is a patch to export PM controls for PCI devices. The file
> > "pm_possible_states" exports the states a device supports, and "pm_state"
> > exports the current state (and provides the interface for entering a
> > state).
> >
> > Eventually, some drivers will want to fix up those values so that it can
> > mask of states that it doesn't support, as well as offer possible device-
> > specific states.
> >
> > What's interesting is that with this patch, I can see that two more
> > devices on my system support D1 and D2 -- the cardbus controllers, which
> > are actually bridges whose PM capabilities aren't exported via lspci.
>
> This trend is extremely alarming!!

It scares me a bit, too.

> It's a very bad idea to make bus drivers export and manage the syfs power
> interface.  It means that lots of code gets repeated and different buses
> do things differently.
>
> Already we have PCI exporting "pm_possible_states" and "pm_state" while
> PCMCIA exports "suspend".  How many other different schemes are going to
> crop up?  How much bus-specific information will have to be built into a
> user utility?
>
> If possible states are represented as arrays of pointers to strings, then
> the PM core can easily supply the sysfs interface.  If Patrick's patch
> were re-written so that the sysfs interface were moved into the PM core,
> leaving only the PCI-specific portions in the PCI drivers, I would be much
> happier.  This would also mean that Dominik's patch could be replaced by
> something a good deal smaller.
>
> And it wouldn't hurt to add some mechanism for indicating which of the
> possible states is the generic "suspend" state (usually D3 for PCI
> devices, but not necessarily).

I think we should start with string-based interface, with just two
states ("on" and "off"). That is easily extensible into future, and
suits current PCMCIA nicely. It also allows us to experiment with PCI
power management... I can cook up a patch, but it will be simple
reintroduction of .../power file under different name.
								Pavel
--
Thanks, Sharp!