Re: [Bcm43xx-dev] [Fwd: State of the Union: Wireless]

On Fri, 2006-01-06 at 17:12 +0100, Feyd wrote:
> Michael Buesch wrote:
> > The _real_ main point I wanted to make was to _not_ use a net_device for
> > the master device. What else should be used for master device, let it
> > be a device node or a netlink socket, is rather unimportant at
> > this stage.
>
> If the only purpose of the master device was configuration, then it
> would be beter to use something other then a net_device, but you may
> want to send/receive raw 802.11 packets from userspace, most logicaly
> over a master interface.

We thought about that for a while, but it may not be feasible. Certain
hardware that manages more stuff than others in firmware/hardware may
not allow sending raw frames without going into some special mode, which
is better handled by adding some kind of raw virtual device.

johannes