Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

Hi.

>>>No. Everything on Solaris uses the Solaris native sound API except for
>>>possibly quick-hack ports of applications from Linux. Doing anything
>>>else would as you say be insane and break things like device
>>>redirection on Sunrays.
>>>

>>Device redirection is just "writing to a different /dev node" - on
>>Solaris and Linux. IIRC, the API is the same.
>
> This whole "OSS is cross platform" thing seems mostly like a cop out by
> lazy developers who can't be bothered to grok ALSA.  None of the usual
> offenders (Skype, Quake 3, Doom 3) run on any other Unix platform so why
> not just use ALSA?
>
> It does not help that the most problematic apps seem to be proprietary
> (most likely they are abusing the OSS API in a way that no one
> anticipated).

What's actually funny (well actually it's not) is that Doom3 for
instance works great using the OSS emul of ALSA but not using
native ALSA for some reason. I haven't reported it cause it's
a commercial program without source.

( The sound stutters all the time, and not just when moving, etc, but
all the time )

// Stefan