Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

On 1/3/06, Takashi Iwai <[email protected]> wrote:
> At Tue, 3 Jan 2006 21:37:32 +0100,
> Tomasz Torcz wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 09:22:58PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Well, we keep the compatibility exactly -- OSS drivers don't support
> > > software mixing in the kernel, too :)
> >
> >  OSS will support software mixing. In kernel. On NetBSD.
> > http://kerneltrap.org/node/4388
>
> Why do we need to keep the compatibility with NetBSD?

Software mixing is a really nice feature for people with soundscards
that can't do hardware mixing, so if the OSS compatibility could
transparently do software mixing for apps using OSS api that would be
a very nice extension for a lot of people - I'd say that if NetBSD do
that they've got the right idea.

--
Jesper Juhl <[email protected]>
Don't top-post  http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/T/top-post.html