Re: 2.6.14.5 to 2.6.15 patch

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:01, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Anyway, I started from scratch - 2.6.14, patched to 2.6.15 and then
> > > make oldconfig etc.
> > >
> > > I think there needs to be a way out of this that is easily discernible
> > > - it does get confusing sometimes with all the patches flying around on
> > > a 'stable release'.
> >
> > It's documented in the kernel.
> >
> > There's something in the kernel.org FAQ there about -rc kernels, but it
> > might be better to generalise this for stable releases. Added hpa to CC.
>
> What do you mean, "generalize" this?  Where else could we document it
> better?

The issue I hit was we have a 'latest stable kernel release 2.6.14.5' and
under it a 'the latest stable kernel' (or words to that effect) on
kernel.org.

Then when 2.6.15 came out, that was it!  No patch for the 'latest stable
kernel release 2.6.14.5'.  It was GONE!

OK, I suppose we are all capable of getting back to where we are on rebuilding
to latest 'stable', but there _is_ a missing link for somebody that doesn't
know - and I think backtracking patches isn't really the way to go if the
'latest stable release' isn't catered for.

Nick
--
"Person who say it cannot be done should not interrupt person doing it."
-Chinese Proverb