Re: [Lse-tech] Re: [Patch 6/6] Delay accounting: Connector interface

Greg KH wrote:

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 12:42:36AM +0000, Shailabh Nagar wrote:
Greg KH wrote:
On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:33:40PM +0000, Shailabh Nagar wrote:

Changes since 11/14/05:

- explicit versioning of statistics data returned
- new command type for returning per-tgid stats
- for cpu running time, use tsk->sched_info.cpu_time (collected by schedstats)

First post 11/14/05

delayacct-connector.patch

Creates a connector interface for getting delay and cpu statistics of tasks
during their lifetime and when they exit. The cpu stats are available only if
CONFIG_SCHEDSTATS is enabled.
Why do you use this when we can send typesafe data through netlink
messages now?
AFAIK, adding new netlink types was frowned upon which is one of the reasons why
connectors were proposed (besides making it easier to use the netlink interface) ?

I don't know about the issue of creating new types (have you tried?),
but there is a new netlink message format that pretty should make it
just as easy as the connector stuff to send complex message types.

Thanks - just saw the genetlink patches/interface which seems to handle the problem of
creating new netlink types as well.

But why do I get the feeling that the delay accounting patches are becoming a pawn in deprecating connector usage ? :-) I'd rather not run off and implement over genetlink (which no one else seems to be using right now) unless there's some
consensus that connectors are to be deprecated.

Andrew - any opinions ?

-- Shailabh

thanks,

greg k-h