Re: [patch 00/2] improve .text size on gcc 4.0 and newer compilers

* Linus Torvalds <[email protected]> wrote:

> And people are nervous about it, exactly because the gcc people have
> historically just changed what "inline" means, with little regard for
> real-life code that uses it. [...]

i think whatever gcc does, we probably cannot get hurt more than we are
hurting right now: everything is inlined, which bloats stuff to the
maximum level. Stating that doesnt in any way excuse gcc 3.1's
unilateral change of what 'inline' means, it doesnt reduce the distrust
that might exist towards gcc, it's simply a statement of the situation
we have right now. We can continue to distrust gcc (and probably
rightfully so), but we probably cannot continue to hurt users as
collateral damage of whatever tool-level fight. (and i'm not suggesting
that this collateral damage is intentional in any way, it slowly evolved
into the mess we have now.)

	Ingo