Re: Broadcom 43xx first results

On Mon, Dec 05, 2005 at 02:53:29PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>  > ieee80211 is used by Intel.  Some bits used by HostAP, which also
>  > duplicates a lot of ieee80211 code.  And bcm43xx.  And another couple
>  > drivers found in -mm or out-of-tree.
>
> Orinoco also uses it now no ?

Dave, the Orinoco is a wireless card that has a hardware MAC, plust
firmware.

I do agree with Jiri that there basically is no support for softmac
devices in the ieee80211 code.

I'm also in favor of merging the devicescape code, but I don't see it
happening without somebody taking care to provide all the required
levels of interfaces (I see at least three levels of API's that a wireless
driver would need, depending on how much stuff is done in
hardware/firmware and how much in software.

I also think that there is a lack of knowledge on the architecture of
802.11 low-level protocols and drivers among many people (including
myself) in the network community.  Only this way I can explain why there
are always people who claim that the kernel already has a 802.11
'stack'.

--
- Harald Welte <[email protected]>          	        http://gnumonks.org/
                                                  (ETSI EN 300 175-7 Ch. A6)