Re: [ANNOUNCE] Framework for automatic Configuration of a Kernel

Hi Emmanuel

--- Emmanuel Fleury <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First of all, I guess that the point of a script
> here is to decide
> whether or not the hardware device is here or not.
> So, the output should
> be something like "true" or "false", better than
> echoing some stupid
> characters, maybe a direct "exit 0" and "exit 1"
> would be much less
> troublesome.

Good idea!

> Then, I might be wrong but I think we can get a more
> stable detection of
> the PCI devices by grabbing directly the PCI vendor
> and device codes as
> numbers instead of looking them up in the PCI ID
> database.
>
> lspci -n
>
> Or even, ask for a specific device like this:
> lspci -d [<vendor>]:[<device>]
>
> Which would give something like this:
>
> [fleury@rade7 ~]$ lspci -d 8086:1a30
> 0000:00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82845 845
> (Brookdale) Chipset
> AGP Bridge (rev 04)
>
> Or if the device is not present:
> [fleury@rade7 ~]$ lspci -d 8087:1a30
> <no output>
>
> This way just avoid to depend from the way the PCI
> database is written,
> because whenever there is a change in the spelling
> of one keyword, it
> might need quite a lot of updates in the Kconfigs.
> On the contrary, the
> vendor and device PCI code will never change
> (hopefully).
> So, the 'autorule' would look like this:
>
> autorule pciscript.sh "8086:1a30"
>
> And the script would be:
> #/bin/sh
>
> if [ -z "`lspci -d $1`" ]
> then
>     exit 1
> else
>     exit 0
> fi
>
> What do you think ?

Again another good Idea. Your right;-) Its better.
But it better getting another way of detecting the
Hardware/Software etc. from the System without using
lspci or the proc-files...? Something that gets all
the Hardware Information directly from the I/O and not
from the Kernel. The good thing about lspci is that it
does both . But it doesnt say if there is  a CDROM or
floppy-disc... I tryed alot to search for something
like that but without any success. I heard about this
Otopia Project. I google after it but I didnt find
anything usefule. I think its dead.

Regards

Ahmad Reza Cheraghi