Re: Crazy Idea: Replacing /dev using sysfs over time

El Mon, 26 Sep 2005 19:28:18 -0400,
Shawn Starr <[email protected]> escribió:

>         /sys/class/block/
>         `-- sda
>             |-- sda1
>                     | - major
>                     | - minor
>                     | - raw

With this you're adding again all the device naming linux has got ridden of
by removing devfs (it rememebers me to solaris' devfs: They have a
sysfs-like filesystem, except that things in /dev are a symbolic link to a
device file in /devices)

> Do we really need /dev other than for historical/legacy purposes?

If your intention is just to boot kernels and not run userspace on them,
then sure, it's a good idea to get rid of /dev.