Re: usb-snd-audio breakage

On 9/26/05, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 09:32:43AM -0400, Jon Smirl wrote:
> > So module
>
> That's up to that maintainer.
>
> > and proc code
>
> That is not true at all.

In one of the older threads about this someone pointed out two places
in /proc where it is done too. I tried searching for the message but I
can't find it.

> > will strip white space, but sysfs won't strip white space. Where is
> > the consistency?
>
> If you want to strip whitespace for all of your subsystem's sysfs files,
> a single function call will do this.
>
> After thinking about this for a while, and seeing all of the different
> iterations that the sysfs-whitespace-cleanup patch went through, I do
> not want to add this to sysfs.  It is very easy to add this to a
> subsystem, or even provide a generic function to do this if you want to
> (I'd be glad to add that to the sysfs core) but it's not for the core of
> sysfs to do for all files.

I went through the iterations because I hadn't thought about the case
where people were assigning multi-line CR terminated values to sysfs
attributes and then using multiple reads to process the assignments
one line at a time. I had thought that sysfs was only supposed to
allow the assignment of single values.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]