Re: later kernels vs ntpd

On Sunday 18 September 2005 10:46, Gene Heskett wrote:
>Greetings;
>
>I'm observing that the last time ntpd logged that it was synchronized
>with a time src, was:
>
>6 Aug 17:44:36 ntpd[1886]: synchronized to 140.221.8.88, stratum=1
>
>This was about a week before I left for month long trip, and I left it
>running 2.6.13-rc6 which had been stable for several days prior to my
>leaving.  In early September, I had to lead the missus thru a reboot
>because the system time had jumped to some other time zone and the
>heyu based lighting automation was afu.  That seemed to fix it till I
>got back on the 14th.  At that time I noted that my watch appeared to be
>off
>by several minutes.  The next day I did a 'service ntpd restart',
>which backed the system time up about 4 minutes, bringing my watch a
>lot closer.
>
>Then I noticed that yesterday, before I built and installed 2.6.13.1,
>that ntpd was apparently not synching.  A restart, which runs ntpdate
>to crash set the clocks, does work, but ntpd is not.  I haven't
>changed anything in the configs for ntpd in several months.
>
>Historicly, this box has lost track of what time zone its on on
>several occasions, but I believe this is a seperate problem.
>
>Is anyone else having ntpd synch problems?  Take a look at
>your /var/log/ntpd.log just for grins.  All I'm getting is the
>restart messages, like these:
>
>18 Sep 10:41:44 ntpd[17787]: ntpd exiting on signal 15
>18 Sep 10:37:07 ntpd[29714]: running as uid(38)/gid(38)
>euid(38)/egid(38).
>
>>From the restart I just did, note the time reset of over 4 minutes.
>
>>From the dates on my /boot/vmlinuz* files, it worked for 2.6.13-rc5,
>but not for rc6 & (apparently) later.
>
>Comments anybody?
>
>I'm going to reboot to an older kernel (2.6.13-rc5) as a check, if
>ntpd starts working, I'll advise here.

Ok, on rebooting to 2.6.13-rc5, time synch was achieved in
approximately 5 minutes after the reboot.  So apparently -rc6 and
13.1 are broken for ntpd.

Sorry your coal mine canary was asleep on the job, to let this go on
for over a month without a chirp.  But I've been out of state, trying
to make a junkyard tv station work, in a market that cannot support a
real tv station.

Does anyone have a hint?

--
Cheers, Gene