Re: I request inclusion of reiser4 in the mainline kernel

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 12:39:48PM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:
> Most of my customers remark that Namesys code is head and shoulders
> above the rest of the kernel code.  So yes, it is different.  In
> particular, they cite the XFS code as being so incredibly hard to read
> that its unreadability is worth hundreds of thousands of dollars in
> license fees for me.  That's cash received, from persons who read it
> all, not commentary made idly.
>
> May I suggest that you work on the XFS code instead?  Surely with all of
> this energy you have, you could improve XFS a lot before it gets
> accepted into the kernel.
>
> As for the indirections, if you figure out how to make VFS indirections
> easy to follow, the same technique should be applicable to Reiser4, and
> I will be happy to fix it.
>
> (Note for the record: I actually think XFS acceptance was delayed too
> long, and I think that XFS is a great filesystem, but a rhetorical point
> needed to be made......)

Well my experience with XFS for about 6 months using 2.6 kernels has
been about as good as my experience with reiserfs 3.6 back when 2.4
was fairly new.

That's why I run ext3.

I don't need my filesystem locking up, leaking memory all over the
place, causing processes to be killed byt the out of memory handler,
etc.  I will stick with what works all the time.

Performance and nifty features are fun, but only when they don't break
your system.

Len Sorensen