Re: [2.6.14-rc1] sym scsi boot hang

On Wed, 2005-09-14 at 17:33 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Sep 2005, James Bottomley wrote:
> > Yes ... really the only case for unprep is when we've partially released
> > the command (like in scsi_io_completion) where we need to tear the rest
> > of it down.
>
> In other words, in scsi_requeue_command and nowhere else.

Pretty much, yes.

> Or will be prepared for the first time, as in scsi_execute.  As far as I
> can tell, a new struct request is not set to all 0's.  So if you queue a
> request with REQ_SPECIAL set and you fail to clear req->special, you're in
> trouble.  Do you have any idea why this hasn't been causing errors all
> along?

That's true, it's not.  However ll_rq_blk.c:rq_init() clears req-
>special (and initialises all other important fields).

> Okay, then how does this patch look (moved the routine over to where it
> gets used, plus two real changes)?

Well ... under pressure to fix this in -mm, I already commited a version
to rc-fixes.  What I did was fully reverse the changes to the
scsi_insert_queue() [the patch I sent Anton].  We can move the unprep
function if you feel strongly about it, but I'm also happy to keep it
where it is.

James