Re: Pure 64 bootloaders

Andi Kleen wrote:
Jim Gifford <[email protected]> writes:

I have been working on a project to create a Pure 64 bit distro of
linux, nothing 32 bit in the system. I can accomplish that with no

Hopefully you're using /lib64 for that, otherwise your
packages will be incompatible to everybody else and not FHS compliant. If you don't please don't submit any patches to hardcode this to upstream packages.

/lib64 is an awful scheme.  I'd avoid it.

Consider what happens in the existing scenario where you have capability to run both IA64 and x86-64 binaries on the same system.

The problem is that there is currently no defined protocol
for passing data to the 64bit part of the kernel, so while
it would be possible to write a boot loader that starts
a 64bit kernel it would be very kernel version dependent.

Good point.

	Jeff