State of Linux graphics

I've written an article that surveys the current State of Linux
graphics and proposes a possible path forward. This is a long article
containing a lot of detailed technical information as a guide to
future developers. Skip over the detailed parts if they aren't
relevant to your area of work.

http://www.freedesktop.org/~jonsmirl/graphics.html

Topics include the current X server, framebuffer, Xgl, graphics
drivers, multiuser support, using the GPU, and a new server design.
Hopefully it will help you fill in the pieces and build an overall
picture of the graphics landscape.

The article has been reviewed but if it still contains technical
errors please let me know. Opinions on the content are also
appreciated.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]