Re: [2.4.31] - USB device numbering in /proc/bus/usb

On Tuesday 23 August 2005 16:51, Paul Rolland wrote:
> Hello Sergey,
>
> > Yes.  Addresses for USB devices are assigned dynamically.  If you
> > disconnect the modem from USB and connect it again, its address will
> > change.
>
> The problem I've is that nothing changed on the machine except that
> I did a reboot. Nothing (USB device) added, nothing removed, so with
> a stable hardware config, USB numbering should have stayed stable, IMHO.

Basically, no it shouldn't.

> > > I would have been expecting some more stability in the
> >
> > numbering across
> >
> > > reboot, the same way IDE disks numbers are stable.
> >
> > Use some other identifier which is stable - e.g., serial number of the
> > USB device (unfortunately, many devices don't have it).
>
> Well yes, I'm going to try to convert to some other identifiers space
> as this seems to be the only way to go.
>
> Thanks for the confirmation,
> Regards,
> Paul

/proc/bus/usb/devices (which tells you where a device is located in the tree).
This should work on 2.4 kernels, 2.6 kernels should be using sysfs by now.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.