RE: [Hdaps-devel] Re: HDAPS, Need to park the head for real

> On Fri, Aug 19 2005, Jon Escombe wrote:
> > For hard disk protection, I prefer the idea of the userspace code
> > thawing the drive based on current accelerometer data, rather than
> > simply waking up after x seconds (maybe you're running for
> a bus rather
> > than falling off a table)...
> >
> > To get the best of both worlds, could we maybe take a
> watchdog timer
> > approach, and have the timeout reset by the userspace component
> > periodically re-requesting freeze?
>
> That would work, you can just define the semantics to be that echo
> foo > frozen would add foo seconds to the timeout (or thaw
> it, if foo is
> 0).

This one is really a hard one to ask for. I mean, if we can make it the way
that it will keep knowing that the accel is changing heavily, then it would
be great. This way we/users can implement other actions as well, not only
for HDAPS, but the fact of kicking any other daemon that we want to. i.e.
The theft system, kicking in laptop_mode if there is soft vibration for a
certain amount of seconds, making festival tell you that the PC is being
moved... Anything!

The fact is also that if we would only make a driver for HDAPS, we could
simply make it freeze for 8 seconds and done. How often do you drop the
laptop? How long does it take even if it rolls down the stairs? 4 Seconds
tops? But then, the driver would be boring. ;-)

.Alejandro