Re: Environment variables inside the kernel?

Hi Guillermo,

On Thursday 18 August 2005 17:44, Guillermo López Alejos wrote:
> I have a piece of code which uses environment variables. I have been
> told that it is not going to work in kernel space because the concept
> of environment is not applicable inside the kernel.
>
> I belive that, but I need to demonstrate it. I do not know how to
> proof this, perhaps referring to a solid reference about Linux design
> that points to the idea that it has no sense to use environment
> variables in kernel space.

The Linux kernel is technically one big process with lots of threads.

An environment variable is per process and is usally to be threated
read only within it.

Also the Linux kernel is the first "process" ever.
Who should set up it's environment variables?

That's why there are none.

These arguments are no real proof in a mathematical sense,
but should help you argumenting.

Regards

Ingo Oeser