Re: Environment variables inside the kernel?

[I doubt this is the right list to ask this question.]

On 8/18/05, Guillermo López Alejos <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a piece of code which uses environment variables. I have been
> told that it is not going to work in kernel space because the concept
> of environment is not applicable inside the kernel.
>
> I belive that, but I need to demonstrate it.

Is it me or does that sound like a school assignment? :)

> I do not know how to
> proof this, perhaps referring to a solid reference about Linux design
> that points to the idea that it has no sense to use environment
> variables in kernel space.
>
> Do anyone knows about the existence of such document?

No.

But you should be able to answer your question by wondering:
- where environment variables come from? see "man sh" or "man bash"
(in particular ENVIRONMENT section)
- how processes are handled. "man init" (in particular BOOTING section)
- where your kernel space is...

Cheers,

Jerome