Re: rc6 keeps hanging and blanking displays where rc4-mm1 works fine.

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 08:50:12AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 15 Aug 2005, Helge Hafting wrote:
> >
> > Ok, I have downlaoded git and started the first compile.
> > Git will tell when the correct point is found (assuming I
> > do the "git bisect bad/good" right), by itself?
>
> Yes. You should see
>
> 	Bisecting: xxx revisions left to test after this
>
> and the "xxx" should hopefully decrease by half during each round. And t
> the end of it, you should get
>
> 	<sha1> is first bad commit
>
> followed by the actual patch that caused the problem.
>
> > Is there any way to make git tell exactly where between rc4 and rc5
> > each kernel is, so I can name the bzimages accordingly?
>
> You'd have to use the raw commit names, since these things don't have any
> symbolic names. You can get that by just doing
>
> 	cat .git/HEAD
>
> which will give you a 40-character hex string (representing the 160-bit
> SHA1 of the top commit). Not very readable, but it's unique, and if you
> report that hex string to other git users, they can trivially recreate the
> tree you have.

Good.  I save those .git/HEAD strings to a separate file.
The first iteration
a46e812620bd7db457ce002544a1a6572c313d8a
seemed to turn out "good".  I test further during the compile of
the next one.

Thanks for all the instructions on using git.

Helge Hafting