Re: [RFC][patch 0/2] mm: remove PageReserved

On Thursday 11 August 2005 20:36, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > It is walking physical memory, not memory managment chains. I need
> > > something like:
> >
> > Can you not use page_is_ram(pfn) ?
>
> IMHO it would be inefficient.
>
> There obviously are some non-RAM pages that should not be saved and there
> are some that are not worthy of saving, although they are RAM (eg because
> they never change), but this is very archtecture-dependent.  The arch code
> should mark them as PageNosave for swsusp, and that's enough.

I still don't see why you can't lift your flags up into the VMA.  The rmap
mechanism is there precisely to let you get from the physical page to the
users and user data, including VMAs.

I am also not sure why you are talking about efficiency here.  Did you measure
the impact on suspend performance?

Regards,

Daniel