Re: GFS

On Tue, Aug 09, 2005 at 05:49:43PM +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> In addition, the vma walk will become an unmaintainable mess as soon as
> someone introduces another mmap() capable fs that needs similar locking.

Christoph Hellwig writes:
We already have OCFS2 in -mm that does similar things.  I think we need
to solve this in common code before either of them can be merged.

It seems to me that the distributed locks must be acquired in ->nopage anyway to solve the problem with memcpy() between two mmap'd regions. One possible solution would be for the lock manager to detect deadlocks and break some locks accordingly. Don't know how well that would mix with ->nopage though... Pekka