RE: IDE disk and HPA

 Yep, you are right. When used by BIOS/firmware, it is usually
protected by password. And interesting enough, as in this particular
case, they employ people to not only read them, but to write them as
well ;)
  However, if not protected by the password, it is probably Ok
to make it visible (as things currently are).

>  Note that this HPA is a good place to store a bootloader too, in fact
> I like to think of it as the big floppy drive of the PC which no more
> have any floppy drive: create a FAT filesystem of 64 Mbytes there and
> copy all the floppy you used to have there. Your bootloader, if it
> is good enough, will be able to run software from this area.

If your bootloader if the first thing to run in the system, you can
use & protect portion of your hardrive for yourself - just make sure you

lock with set max with password when passing control to 'normal'
OS/loader.

Aleks.