Re: kernel 2.6 speed

In windows were performed about 300 millions cycles,
while in Linux about 10 millions. This test was run on
Fedora 4 and Suse 9.2 as Linux machines, and Windows
XP Pro with VS .Net 2003 on the MS side. My CPU is a
P4 @3GHz HT 800MHz bus.

Hi,

This test gives you the price of the time function on each OS
since the 4 arithmetical operations are shorter to compute
(several cycles against tons of cycles). It appears that the time
function costs about 3 us on Linux against 0.1 us on Windows.

I know that this benchmark is totally flawed, but I couldn't refuse to run it on my own and to my surprise my numbers where the reverse! Running 2.6.12 gave my roughly 73 million
"cycles" while WinXP only gave me 28 million "cycles".

This result made me further test the difference in time() in Linux and WinXP and on my hw (Compaq Evo N800c Laptop) it turns out that the time() call takes roughly 0.4 us in Linux vs
1.0 us in WinXP.

Using the GetSystemTime() functions in WinXP yielded the same values as time() did in Linux, so it seams like that atleast on my hw that the time() and gettimeofday() functions are as fast or faster than in WinXP. The question is of course why my results differ so much from Ciprians.

/Henrik H