[Question] arch-independent way to differentiate between user and kernel

Hi all,

I'm dealing with a problem where I want to know from __do_IRQ in
kernel/irq/handle.c if the interrupt occurred while the process was in
user space or kernel space.  But the trick here is that it must work on
all architectures.

Does anyone know of some way that that function can tell if it had
interrupted the kernel or user space?  I know of serveral arch-dependent
ways, but that's not acceptable right now.

Thanks,

-- Steve