kernel options for cd project with processor family

I'm working on the ghost for linux project, which uses various
kernels. The older version 0.14 version had two kernels that support
some configurations. I've added a number of additional builds
adding extra features, but left earlier version in case the later
additions didn't work with hardware. The bzImage6 is the latest and
it works with most hardware, but I found it didn't work on a K6, since
it was build with the Pentium Pro Family. I was able to build one with
the K6 family, and it worked. I had used one of the original kernels
with a K6 before, but this one had a network card that wasn't
supported by it.

I've built a test set of kernels with the same configuration as the
bzImage6, but changed the Processor family. Below is a list of the
build. I'm interested in which ones would make a difference. I would
think that the 386 version would probable work on all hardware, but
at what cost in performance for creating and restoring the disk
images. G4L uses basically dd, gzip, lzop, bzop, ncftpget, and
ncftpput. With all these images, the g4l iso image is 50MB.

3877213 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.386
3961494 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.486
3971857 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.586
4100360 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage6
4038178 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.Athlon
4033738 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.Athlon64
3915459 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.K6
3927064 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.P4
3973329 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.PClasic
4083542 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.PIII
4083891 Aug  2 11:46 bzImage.PPro

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:[email protected]
  mailto:[email protected]
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  17,188
Processing time:  31 years, 176 days,  2 hours, 20 minutes
(Total Hours: 275,786)