Re: [Ext2-devel] Re: CheckFS: Checkpoints and Block Level Incremental Backup (BLIB)

On Aug 01, 2005  13:20 +0530, Milind Dumbare wrote:
>         The diff file generated by comparing ext3/ and
> kernel/fs/checkfs/ can also be accessed from the link
> http://checkfs.linsyssoft.com/temp/
>         I cleaned it, but still it has some unnecessary differences. I
> am working on that to make it more clean and will send it to u as soon
> as I finish with that.

As with Ted, I agree that there should never be copyright messages
removed from the code, though I see you have said this will be fixed.
I would also question the addition of new copyrights in files which
do not contain any significant amount of LinSysSoft code.

The other comment is that it appears you are generating the diff
against a different version of the ext3 code than the code with
which you started (i.e. from a different kernel).  This includes a
large number of changes that are reverted in your code and makes
it more difficult to see what has changed in the checkfs code vs.
the core ext3 code.  It would be preferrable to see the diffs against
the version of ext3 from which it was originally branched.

I would also recommend that you maintain the same coding style as
the rest of the ext3 code, if you are interested in having this added
to the core Linux code.

Finally, it would appear that the diff is missing some bits of the
code (e.g. changes to the header files where you declare the values
of the ioctls and EXT3_COMPAT_FEATURE_HAS_CKPT).

I look forward to seeing your updated patch.

Cheers, Andreas
--
Andreas Dilger
Principal Software Engineer