Re: [patch 2.6.13-rc4] fix get_user_pages bug

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Aug 2005, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> >
> > > Aside, that brings up an interesting question - why should readonly
> > > mappings of writeable files (with VM_MAYWRITE set) disallow ptrace
> > > write access while readonly mappings of readonly files not? Or am I
> > > horribly confused?
> >
> > Either you or I.  You'll have to spell that out to me in more detail,
> > I don't see it that way.
>
> We have always just done a COW if it's read-only - even if it's shared.
>
> The point being that if a process mapped did a read-only mapping, and a
> tracer wants to modify memory, the tracer is always allowed to do so, but
> it's _not_ going to write anything back to the filesystem.  Writing
> something back to an executable just because the user happened to mmap it
> with MAP_SHARED (but read-only) _and_ the user had the right to write to
> that fd is _not_ ok.

I'll need to think that through, but not right now.  It's a surprise
to me, and it's likely to surprise the current kernel too.  I'd prefer
to say that if the executable was mapped shared from a writable fd,
then the tracer will write back to it; but you're clearly against that.
We may need to split the vma to handle your semantics correctly.

> Using the dirty flag for a "page is _really_ writable" is admittedly kind
> of hacky, but it does have the advantage of working even when the -real-
> write bit isn't set due to "maybe_mkwrite()". If it forces the s390 people
> to add some more hacks for their strange VM, so be it..

I'll concentrate on this for now.  s390 used to have the same semantics
as everyone else, they made a conscious choice to diverge, and keep dirty
bit in separate array indexed by struct page, and page_test_and_clear_dirty
macro they use instead of clearing pte_dirty.

It works all right, and I don't think it will prevent us communicating
between maybe_mkwrite and get_user_pages by a pte flag that would be
the usual pte_dirty on every other architecture.  Just need to be
careful to handle the right one right.

Hugh