Re: Calling suspend() in halt/restart/shutdown -> not a good idea

On Mon, 2005-08-01 at 20:37 +0200, Marc Ballarin wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 17:09:31 +0200
> Benjamin Herrenschmidt <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Hi !
> >
> > Why are we calling driver suspend routines in these ? This is _not_ a
> > good idea ! On various machines, the mecanisms for shutting down are
> > quite different from suspend/resume, and current drivers have too many
> > bugs to make that safe. I keep getting all sort of reports of machines
> > not shutting down anymore.
>
> For example, my Centrino laptop will restart instead of power down with
> -mm kernels.
>
> To "fix" this I can either:
> - unplug power. Shutdown works when on battery power.
> - attach an external USB hard disk => power down always works.
> - remove device_suspend(PMSG_SUSPEND) => power down always works.-

Yes, this is just one of the gazillion setup that got broken by this
change. Drivers already have a shutdown() callback anyway, and if we
want to re-use the suspend one, then we need to define some sane
parameter, not "fake" a system suspend.

Ben.