Re: revert yenta free_irq on suspend

Brown, Len <[email protected]> wrote:

> But that believe would be total fantasy -- supsend/resume is not
> working on a large number of machines, and no distro is currently
> able to support it.  (I'm talking about S3 suspend to RAM primarily,
> suspend to disk is less interesting -- though Red Hat doesn't
> even support _that_)

It's still failing on a large number of machines, but it's working on a
larger set. We (Ubuntu) shipped with suspend to RAM support in our
previous release. Frankly, at this stage the three biggest problems are:

a) resuming video (not going to be fixed in the ACPI core)
b) SATA resume (not going to be fixed in the ACPI core)
c) Motherboard chipsets that don't seem to be programmed to handle
memory refresh (not going to be fixed in the ACPI core)

People /do/ use this code, and breaking a large number of working setups
in order to fix a bug that appears on a small number of setups (and can
be worked around in a rather less invasive way) isn't sensible.
--
Matthew Garrett | [email protected]