Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005, Thorsten Knabe wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
>
> > This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
> > support the same hardware) for removal.
>
> Hello Adrian.
>
> I'm the maintainer of the OSS AD1816 sound driver. I'm aware of two
> problems of the ALSA AD1816 driver, that do not show up with the OSS
> driver:
> - According to my own experience and user reports audio is choppy with
>   some VoIP Softphones like gnophone at least when used with the ALSA
>   OSS emulation layer, whereas the OSS driver is crystal clear.
> - Users reported, that on some HP Kayak systems the on-board AD1816A was
>   not properly detected by the ALSA driver or was detected, but there
>   was no audio output. I'm not sure if the problem is still present in
>   the current ALSA driver, as I do not own such a system.
>
> Maybe the OSS driver should stay in the kernel, until those problems are
> fixed in the ALSA driver.

The problem is that nobody reported us mentioned problems. We have no
bug-report regarding the AD1816A driver. Perhaps, it would be a good idea
to add a notice to the help file and/or driver that the ALSA driver should
be tested and bugs reported to the ALSA bug-tracking-system.

					Thanks,
						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <[email protected]>