Re: [2.6 patch] schedule obsolete OSS drivers for removal

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:

This patch schedules obsolete OSS drivers (with ALSA drivers that
support the same hardware) for removal.

Hello Adrian.

I'm the maintainer of the OSS AD1816 sound driver. I'm aware of two problems of the ALSA AD1816 driver, that do not show up with the OSS driver: - According to my own experience and user reports audio is choppy with some VoIP Softphones like gnophone at least when used with the ALSA OSS emulation layer, whereas the OSS driver is crystal clear. - Users reported, that on some HP Kayak systems the on-board AD1816A was not properly detected by the ALSA driver or was detected, but there was no audio output. I'm not sure if the problem is still present in the current ALSA driver, as I do not own such a system.

Maybe the OSS driver should stay in the kernel, until those problems are fixed in the ALSA driver.

Regards
Thorsten

--
___