Re: PATCH: Assume PM Timer to be reliable on broken board/BIOS

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
Hi all,

Background
==========

I have a laptop (Compaq R3480EA, AMD 64 3400+ with NForce3) and reported
multiple problems related to timer issues.

In a nutshell, sometimes, the PIT/TSC timer runs 3x too fast [1]. That
causes many issues, including DMA errors, MCE, and clock running way too
fast (making the laptop unusable for any software development). So far,
no BIOS update was able to fix the issue for me.

Shouldn't this be looked into further rather than adding this workaround? Surely Windows is using the PIT as well, so there must be some way to get it to behave properly..

--
Robert Hancock      Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from [email protected]