Re: [2.6 patch] sound drivers select'ing ISAPNP must depend on PNP && ISA

On Tue, Jul 19, 2005 at 10:50:53PM +0200, Bodo Eggert wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 17, 2005 at 05:07:48PM +0200, Bodo Eggert wrote:
>
> > > In sound/isa/Kconfig, select ISAPNP and depend on ISAPNP are intermixed,
> > > resulting in funny behaviour. (Soundcarts get selectable if other
> > > soundcards are selected).
> > >
> > > This patch changes the "depend on ISAPNP"s to select.
> >
> > I like the idea of this patch, but it brings to more drivers to a
> > violation of the "if you select something, you have to ensure that the
> > dependencies of what you select are fulfilled" rule causing link errors
> > with invalid .config's.
>
> That should be mentioned in kconfig-language.txt. OTOH, the build system
> should automatically propagate the dependencies. I asume that should be
> easy, except for having the time to implement that.

There are nontrivial problems:
E.g. what should happen if you select option A that depends on (B || C)?

There's one opinion that options should be either select'able _or_ user
visible.

The current policy in the kernel is not 100% dogmatic regarding this
issue, but it shouldn't be violated without a good reason.

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
                                       Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed