Re: 2.6.13-rc3-mm1 (ckrm)

Paul Jackson wrote:
Martin wrote:

No offense, but I really don't see why this matters at all ... the stuff
in -mm is what's under consideration for merging - what's in SuSE is ...

Yes - what's in SuSE doesn't matter, at least not directly.

No - we are not just considering the CKRM that is in *-mm now, but also
what can be expected to be proposed as part of CKRM in the future.

If the CPU controller is not in *-mm now, but if one might reasonably
expect it to be proposed as part of CKRM in the future, then we need to
understand that.  This is perhaps especially important in this case,
where there is some reason to suspect that this additional piece is
both non-trivial and essential to CKRM's purpose.

The CKRM design explicitly considered this problem of some controllers being more unacceptable than the rest and part of the indirections introduced in CKRM are to allow the kernel community the flexibility of cherry-picking acceptable controllers. So if the current CPU controller implementation is considered too intrusive/unacceptable, it can be reworked or (and we certainly hope not) even rejected in perpetuity. Same for the other controllers as and when they're introduced and proposed for inclusion.

-- Shailabh