Re: Weird USB errors on HD

On Tuesday 19 Jul 2005 17:47, Karim Yaghmour wrote:
> I have a usb-attached HD that I use from time to time. When it's connected
> to my desktop through a hub it works flawlessly. When connected to my Dell
> D600 Laptop, however, it sometimes randomly exhibits a loud click (as if
> the heads went berzerk) and the device goes unrecognized (i.e. the USB
> layer drops the device and then redetects it again; meanwhile there is FS
> corruption.)

I've noticed my laptop is less able to output the required current for my
portable HD than my desktop; either way it's probably not a good idea
exceeding the USB specifications for current output @ 5V, so I'd recommend
you use a powered hub or external PSU (if the HD supports one).

Also a (slightly) nasty but functional trick is to have the power in when the
HD initially spins up, then remove the power. Once the drive has spun up it
seems to use a lot less power.

You can get special USB cables that link two USB ports' 5Vs together in
parallel, which seems to help supply the necessary current; after the HD has
spun up you can remove the second "dummy" USB connector (my laptop only has
two USB ports and I require the second port).

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

personal:   alistair()devzero!co!uk