Increasing virtual address space of a process, by treating virtual address's as offsets in secondary memory.

Hello Alan, mm-hackers,

I have been working this idea of increasing virtual address space of a
process with the help of secondary memory. At first this may seem like
the same virtual memory concept but its not the case.

Imagine all the virtual address the compiler generates while creating
the binary as relocatable offsets on the disk, and the application
specific runtime mmaps and munmaps these dynamically.

I was searching a lot about work on this, and found your reply where
you say that we can increase the virtual address space by mmaping and
munmaping programatically ourself.

So is the bigmem kernel implement this? may be  you can give me some
insight into this.

Some inputs on this would be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Vamsi kundeti.

PS: Please refer this kernel mailing list email.

<--------------------------------------------------SNIP--------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Re: BIGMEM kernel question
From: Alan Cox ([email protected])
Date: Fri Jul 06 2001 - 16:46:16 EST

> Ahh. That makes sense. So how can I change the chunk size from 64k to
> something higher (I assume I could set it to 128k to effectively double
> that 3GB to 6GB)?

I think you misunderstand. If you want more than 3Gb you will have to map and
unmap stuff yourself. You only have 3Gb of per process address space due to
x86 weaknesses (lack of seperate kernel/user spaces without tlb flush
overhead nightmares)

mdio_read? (cont'd from "are ioctl calls supposed to take this
long?")"