Re: IBM HDAPS things are looking up (was: Re: [Hdaps-devel] Re: [ltp] IBM HDAPS Someone interested? (Accelerometer))

On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 02:56:08AM +0200, Bodo Eggert wrote:

> Clemens Koller <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Well, sure, it's not a notebook HDD, but maybe it's possible
> > to give headpark a more generic way to get the heads parked?
>
> I remember my old MFM HDD, which had a Landing Zone stored in the BIOS to
> which the park command would seek. Maybe you could do something similar
> and park the head on the last cylinder if the other options fail.

This is not really a good idea. It worked for the old drives, because
you weren't supposed to move them around.

The shock when the machine hits the ground will cause the head to move
anyway and bounce across the whole surface.

Real parking makes a click because the head is moved outside the surface
and locked in that position.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR