Re: [Solved] Virtual Box & Windows -

On 25/03/11 17:37, Claude Jones wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 11:55 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>>> That's still not what I wanted, I would prefer to use the
> Bob: Somehow, I missed this part. You have a very simple problem. What
> you need to do is set up the Windows drive as you describe above (you
> can also usually go into BIOS and tell the computer which drive to boot
> off of regardless of which slot a hard drive is in). You then want to
> boot from your Fedora CD and go into "rescue mode"; there, you'll be
> able to use a simple command to rewrite your grub.conf file to the MBR
> on the Windows drive, which will then give you your desired dual-boot
> option...
>
> There are lots of sites out there that discuss how to do the above;
> here's one:
> http://danleff.net/myarticles/fedorainstall/linuxinstallharddrives5.html
>
> when I made that first suggestion, I misunderstood your desired result
> and thought you wanted to run your Old Windows XP as a virtualized
> machine inside Virtual Box - maybe because of the title of this thread ;-)

        Claude & Compdoc:

        I finally have this working and dual booting from the original
        Windows drive.

        The original drive is in the first position and as I mentioned
        earlier I installed F14 on it from DVD, that created a grub that
        booted either WindowsXP or the new F14 which was not updated and
        configured to suit me.

        With a text editor I copied a kernel line from grub.conf in the
        updated F14 install into the new grub on the Windows drive which
        is the drive the system boots from now. It works as I want I to.
        A major accomplishment for me. Someone more skilled might have
        done it differently and faster.

        It took some messing with the grub "hdx" designations to get
        things working. Curiously I could not make changes using the
        grub editor permanent? I finally had to do that from my text
        editor "e3em." I hope my changes will survive the next kernel
        yum update.

        As a byproduct of this effort I also have a working "virtualbox"
        which also runs windows but is not as convenient to use although
        v'box has other potential uses. I never did get it to use the
        Windows already on the hard drive, it ran with one I installed
        from an OEM CD and updated with SP3.

        A lot of effort to get Windows running for just one application
        but I learned a few things that I will use.

        Thanks to all.

        Bob
        .