Re: About programing, a general question

On Wed, 2010-12-22 at 16:52 -0600, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 00:10 +0530, Parshwa Murdia wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM, les <hlhowell@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >         Since C++ is a preprocessor to C, how does it run circles
> >         around C?
> >         Just asking.
> >

> >         Regards,
> >         Les H
> >

> > Absolutely no idea dude!
> There are C++ implementations where C++ is processed to C but the
> language it self can have a compiler that does not use C.
>
> --
> Don't everyone thank me at once! -- Han Solo
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Is that really what happens now with gnu C++?  Sorry, just haven't used
it in a while, and when I have it was for some simple C stuff, no
debugging or anything, just a few lines of code thrown together for a
small task.

I thought most of the underlying libraries (stdio stuff, standard math,
order of evaluation stuff and so on were the standard C libraries, just
called from within the C++ code as needed, unless the C++ code
overloaded the functions.

I guess I am really dated now ;-) and I've only been out of the formal
work for about 5 years.  I may have to get active again.  Maybe C++ has
outgrown some of the things that made me shun it.  Is the context
limitation on objects now universal?  If an object is created with
inheritance now, does the runtime code contain the associated links with
the object core to link the inherited functions, or is this still a
static table at compile time only?

I have hundreds more questions now, but this is not the thread for them
I think.

Both Java and C++ broke for me due to occasional and unexplained loss of
reference to global objects and associated public functions, resulting
in difficulties building complex programs without some extra files and
linkages in the past and I could not find any explanation of what I
needed to do to make it work, which made me even more prejudiced against
them than I wanted to be.

In one Java class I created a nice little program which required a
linkage of an object and its public functions from one file to another,
but the code wouldn't support it, and neither the instructor nor any one
in the class could find the problem.  I still got a good grade in the
class, but not finding and fixing that problem still sticks in my craw
today.

And that is why I do not recommend OO languages for newcomers.  If the
instructors cannot make simple code work, then a newbie needs to avoid
that and build some success first before being thrown into that pit.

Regards,
Les H