Re: Improving the list climate [was Re: Fwd: Fedora Weekly News 228]

dexter wrote:
> 2010/6/4 Máirín Duffy <duffy fedoraproject.org>:
>> On Thu, 2010-06-03 at 16:56 -0700, Craig White wrote:
>>> George - I think that you are very offensive towards people who
>>> volunteer their time. It's easy to understand why Fedora
>>> contributors don't actually want to participate on the user lists
>>> and get abused by unappreciative, sarcastic and combative users.
>>
>> How do we fix this?
>>
>> - moderation?
>> - a code of conduct?
>> - ?
>
> I remember list police being assigned when the list name last
> changed they seem to be mia.

There are a number of active list admins here, myself included.  And
while in Mailman parlance, we all tend to the moderation queue, that
does not mean the same thing as moderation of posts in the context you
quote from Máirín.

Other lists, like the devel list do have some light moderation applied
at times, by marking certain threads as closed and preventing news
posts from being sent to the list in that thread.  That's certainly
possibly to do here as well, but it's sure to annoy at least as many
people as it makes happy.

>> I've found some of the behavior of a few on this list to be quite
>> embarrassing. To me, it seems an alien island in the middle of the
>> Fedora community that I know to be a genuinely warm, friendly, and
>> welcoming place.
>
> As you say its a few folk, nothing a moderator with authority cant
> handle, failing that you quote yourself an example of the list
> policing itself.

In the many years I have been on mailing lists, only a few that were
heavily moderated were well used and productive, IMO.  Most of the
good lists I have been subscribed to were that way because the members
of the list did a good job of staying on topic and leading by example.
I would love to see more of the latter here.  One example is to simply
not fuel the flames of long threads of doom. (He says, violating the
sentence as he types it...)

If there are egregious examples of people getting out of hand, one way
to handle it without escalting to the full list is to mail the list
admins directly, users-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx in this case.  If
warranted, any list admin can place a member on moderation or warn
them that if they don't act more respectfully they will be moderated.

That's just my opinion though.  I could be wrong.

Life may have no meaning. Or even worse, it may have a meaning of
which I disapprove.
    -- Ashleigh Brilliant