Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On Wed 26 May 2010 @ 21:35:14 zulu, Máirín Duffy scribed:

> I'm sorry, but Fedora Planet is not a vacuum. Nor is Fedora Weekly
> News. Are folks on this list really unaware of those forums?

Yes, really.  The only forums of which I was aware of are
those at http://fedoraforum.org

Still, I think anyone who believes the purpose of torrent clients
is to speed up downloads is exposing their ignorance.
Luckily, ignorance is curable.

My impression of torrents has always been it's a good way to
share the bandwidth load.  I've had the i386 and x86_64 fc12
DVDs in uTorrent on a windows machine since shortly after its
release and the ratios are now over 400:1 and 200:1 respectively.
That means I've personally removed over 2 terabytes of bandwidth
demand from the mirrors' pipes in the last 6 months. The BW
requirements for CD sets are miniscule (from torrents, anyway)
in comparison, according to my empirical data... the ratios I see
for those are less than 10:1 on both the i386 and x86_64 sets.

I just looked at it for fc12 'peer' stats (590 peers on the i386
DVD; 450 peers on the x86_64 DVD), and people were still
downloading the fc12 DVDs, for what that info's worth.

Thanks for the work you do on the fedora project, mizmo, in
case nobody else in this thread remembered to mention that. :)

Sorry this isn't 'threaded' correctly... I get only the digest and
when replying to messages from the archives the 'from' link
at the top leads only to mailto:users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
rather than mailto:users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?In-Reply-/
To=[message-ID of email].