Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

jdow wrote:
From: "Tim" <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, 2009/December/25 18:28

Tim:
There are drivers to read ext3 on Windows.  If you use both systems,
you'll have to weigh up which is the most convenient.  Native file
systems on Linux, which supports your normal permissions and
ownership file details.  Or a pathetic-featured file system that
can be easily read by many different systems.

Antonio Olivares:
<quote>
or a pathetic-featured file system that can be easily read by many
different systems.
</quote>
I like this quote, but I have seen systems which this is not TRUE :(,
I help my students clean out their windows machines, and they had to
force shutdown(Pressing and holding power button, machine was not
responding had AV virus/spyware/trojan(you name it) ) and the NTFS
partition was cleanly unmounted and therefore not easily read :(

I have to point out that the /quite universal pathetic file system/ is
FAT, not NTFS.  Though both seem designed to support the:

  Windows deniable plausibility error:
  I cannot recall the contents of that file.

There are a great many number of systems, that one way or another, can
easily work with the FAT file system.  NTFS support is still limited.

There is a reason that FAT became the standard for flash memory drives
rather than the others. It writes to the drive one heck of a lot less
often than NTFX or ext(whatever). This can be important on a device with
lifetime write limitations.

You are exactly correct. Which is why I usually use either ext2 or put the journal file on another file system.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>