Re: 8 GB Flash drive formatted at 3.7 GB

Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> I think there is another problem with having pen drives formatted ext3
> or ext4. Pen drives can only tolerate a finite number of writes before
> they crap out. Any format that involves journaling will increase the
> number of writes to the pen drive and hasten its failure.

I don't know if the problem is that bad in practice.  Ted Ts'o has page
about ext4 on SSD's and it sounds like wear is a concern, but in
practice the media lasts longer than you'll want to use it for other
reasons.

   http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/03/01/ssds-journaling-and-noatimerelatime/

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht
If the airwaves belong to the public why does the public only get 3