Re: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Hiisi wrote:

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

  currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run
the vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the
radeon driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will
last maybe 10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point
the only response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen
verrrrrry slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the
vesa driver will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)

Had similar problem with screen resolution running vesa driver.
Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf In section "Screen", subsection
"Display" in line Modes add "1280x800" and restart X-server. That
(probably) will do the task.

  currently, my xorg.conf file is the extremely spartan:

Section "ServerFlags"
        Option "DontZap" "false"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "Videocard0"
        Driver "vesa"
EndSection

which gives me perfectly functional 1024x768.  and i remember trying
various combinations to try to get to 1280x800 and failing.  if you
can give me an exact setting for xorg.conf to try, i'll give it a
shot.  but i recall messing with that for a while and never getting
vesa at 1280x800.  i'm definitely open to suggestions.

Have you tried without an xorg.conf at all? I get 1280x800 that way, one of the few things I do like about F11 video. Sort of like deleting PulseAudio to get sound.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>