Re: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:56:12 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?
To: Fedora List <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>

  apologies for the unduly harsh tone but, seriously, will there ever
be radeon drivers available for fedora that aren't complete junk?
this has been going on for some time now, and nothing's changed.

  currently, on my 1280x800 display gateway laptop, i need to run the
vesa driver and get only 1024x768 because, if i try to run the radeon
driver, i'll get my full resolution, and my session will last maybe
10-15 minutes before finally locking up, at which point the only
response i can get is moving the mouse around the screen verrrrrry
slowly but nothing else, requiring a power cycle.  (the vesa driver
will, of course, work perfectly for days on end.)
Had similar problem with screen resolution running vesa driver. Check your /etc/X11/xorg.conf In section "Screen", subsection "Display" in line Modes add "1280x800" and restart X-server. That (probably) will do the task. I have another problem with vesa driver. I have an old Crt-monitor. After changing to vesa driver I have low screen refresh frequency. I don't know exactly how low it is because in Preferences->Display there's 0 value for it and I can't change it to anything else (drop-down list is empty).
--
Hiisi.