Re: will we ever have radeon drivers that aren't crap?

Robert P. J. Day wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Andras Simon wrote:

On 7/24/09, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

  at this point, i have to agree.  i've been on fedora for several
releases but if i can't get minimally functional video drivers
that don't lock up my desktop every 15-30 minutes, it's time to
move on and find something that works.  life is too short to spend
hours messing with this and reporting to bugzilla only for nothing
to happen.
I understand your frustration, but: are these Fedora or X problems?
If the latter, then I wonder what "moving on" could mean...

  i *was* going to add something to that effect to my previous note.
are other distros having exactly the same frustrations?  friends of
mine who run debian or ubuntu seem to be happy, so maybe i'll ask them
what they're doing.

  i'm not asking for much -- i don't need 3D or blazing speed.  i just
want my native 1280x800 screen resolution.  i don't think that's
being unreasonable.

Rob, I don't know what to tell you, that's just what I get on my Acer laptop with ATI graphics, tried the vendor driver for FC10, didn't seem to make any difference for what I do. FC11 installed, uses the radeondrm and just works. I can't say I've had a hang since about a week after the official release, and I was diddling X and such trying to get speed up a bit (8x slower than FC10).

I did notice that display of full screen HDTV with vlc occasionally had a bit of pixelize, but zero hangs or serious glitches. My real HDTV gets them once in a while, thanks to my cable provider.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>