Re: OT - Success! - The new Palm Pre, Google Calendar and Kontact

On 06/18/2009 06:25 AM, Tim wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-17 at 22:16 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
as Betamax was superior to VHS

I'll argue that was a complete fallacy, at least outside of the USA,
where we didn't have the extremely slow tape speeds that VHS did at the
start.

I really don't want to get into that, and it's not a point of honour in any case. I was simply using it as a handy example. I could have said "PAL is superior to NTSC" with similar results, i.e. I think initially PAL certainly was superior because of ghost rejection and better colour fidelity, but for modern TVs there's nothing in it as far as the consumer is concerned, and with digital TV the question is pretty much moot. It's just unfortunate that everyone missed the opportunity of the shift to HD to have a genuine world-wide standard, again.

poc